06 June 2011

Days 21 and 22 of 101

I really ought to have posted something perfect yesterday morning. After all, I felt inspired enough throughout most of the morning while I was awake and fending off sleep before the time it was due; however, time just seemed to slip away from me. By the time I was up and cognizant of the fact that I was about to - yet again - miss a day that a post should have been made, I was already trying to hurry to get ready for work. Seems work and sleep are all that I ever do these days, and work can be something of a drain at times. At present, I'm considering right now one of those times.

I feel that I'm stuck in something of a conundrum when it comes to matters of my professional life. I'm on the verge of asking a ton of questions that I feel really need to be asked and asserting a little authority that I think needs to be asserted because I feel that I am being taken advantage of in a variety of situations, and I no longer feel that I have to simply sit back and allow it all to continue. Too often in the past, I have been overlooked or forgotten about or simply sidestepped just because people think I won't mind or won't be offended or will be okay with the fact that someone or something else needs to come before me. I am no longer okay with that, and I am learning that being something of a doormat or a leaping frog is really no way to get ahead. Now, I'm not saying that I'm planning to act in any sort of a cut-throat, J.R. Ewing type of way, but I definitely think that there are those who lead, those who follow, and those who are left behind. My leadership qualities already go without saying. They've been rewarded and recognized and admired for quite some time; however, I have remained something of a follower in a lot of ways, because I never want to step on toes or look like a bad guy in any way.

As of now, those days are over. I'm less than a year from graduating, and it is undoubtedly time for me to make my mark on the world. Now, more than ever, I am certain that this is the field for me, and that this is where my future waits. I have a few people I need to prove myself to, but most importantly, I have to start by proving it to myself... and I know that I can. Just watch.

Nine days until our arrival on the sunny shores of the gulf. Thirteen days out from the surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment