07 May 2013

More About Alcoholism

Maybe it has more to do with where I am in my life, more to do with everything that I've been through in the past several years -most specifically, since. 05 February, 2012- but it seems that The Shining is more about alcoholism than I remember it being when I originally read the novel in my youth. I remember it being more of a straight horror story than one of a man attempting to get his life and his family back together while struggling to maintain a tenuous grasp on a very fragile sobriety.

Does this make it any less of a straight horror story? Not at all.

In fact, this component, a facet that I don't recall as being so pronounced, may make the story more horrifying than before. I had to stop reading tonight to write that. I'm not sure where I'll be headed with this third book, but I'm quite curious to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment