28 May 2013

Epic Vacation Continues

Only three books into the fifty plus novels and nine or ten short story collections from the man who is the main focus of my blog (until I ?finish? my passage through and move onto another idea) for the time being. Granted, I'm ahead of the book club that I co-created and meets once a month to discuss his work in chronological order of publication, but I'm behind on some of my other reading. Specifically, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, which is due Sunday in the Super Secret and Selective Book Club. I'm writing this as a preface to the fact that my trajectory may divert a bit for the next few days while I read this selection, before I move onto Rage, the next book in my path toward finishing this pretty mammoth goal that I've set for myself.

As my epic summer vacation continues (with less than a week remaining in my off days), I have plenty of time to write, to paint, to read, and to blog. Expect lots of updates as I continue to try to soak up as much freedom as possible before it's all snatched away from me for several months of work.

I started the day around 8:30, but didn't actually get out of bed until a little after nine, which made me late to make it to the funeral service of a close friend's grandfather, which I'd hoped to have no excuse to miss. Since I knew I couldn't read, pray, meditate, and make it to St. Joseph's on time, I decided to spend my morning leisurely, and to begin reading Living Sober, a gift from my buddy Mark R., as a new supplement to my morning routine (Drop the Rock and A New Pair of Glasses have already been finished). After throwing some clothes in the wash and running to Walgreen's (I should buy stock in the corporation) for some Rock Star energy drinks, I watched Groom's Cake, a possible selection for the upcoming NLGLFF, and I'm ready to paint a little something for my best friend, Meg, who has achieved two years of sobriety today.

In spite of being without the burdensome responsibility of work at the moment, I'm trying to stay on track with all of my other extracurricular responsibilities (PACE, LASCYPAA bid, the NLGLFF). I don't want to fall behind when I have the opportunity to get ahead. More later. I feel like I still owe The Shining a better remembrance than that which I gave it last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment