30 May 2013

Geography Club

When I originally asked Brad to help with the North Louisiana Gay & Lesbian Film Festival selections, I never dreamed in a million years that my outlook on life, love, and my personal pursuit of happiness would take the direction that it has over the past several weeks. I've seen some really great stuff, some options that I found depressing, some that I found uplifting, some that were really good, and some that were not as great as the others. The one thing that all the shorts and films have in common is that each of them has served as a sort of inspiration for me in where I am and where I'm going. I've reverted back to spending more time with myself: writing, painting, creating, and spending a ton of time daydreaming following my morning reading, prayer, and meditation. I've spent time thinking about falling in love and getting married and starting a family. I've thought about what a big gay wedding would be like in Shreveport, Louisiana, what it would like to actually accept a proposal, and the process we would take to actually get a family going.

When I mentioned to Bruce Parker II that one of the films up for me to review is Geography Club, he mentioned that he'd read the book and really enjoyed it. Of course, I instantly did a quick search to find out what bookstore in town would have a copy, which I bought as soon as I found its location. That was last weekend. Today, I put my other responsibilities aside to read the book before I see the movie (at the advice of Bruce). It only took me a couple of hours to read it in its entirety, and I was impressed. Once again, I had to think about life and love and what it means to be a family and to really experience friendship. My hope is that the film is as impressive as the book and we're able to select it for the festival so that other people who don't read as much as I do will have the opportunity to experience this really creative and beautiful story.

After an evening out with friends celebrating Mark's birthday after the Lambda meeting, I had the chance to spend a little more time than usual talking to Brodie, the dude in the pictures in the post above (who my roommate questions the actual existence of, but who I've talked to every day since Friday, March 15th)... the best way to finish any productive day.

Now off to bed and Lamb and maybe a selection short or two before the end of the last day of the usual week and the beginning of the last weekend of my vacation. I need to do it up hard. As this is the first vacation I've taken in years, I need to make these last few days count - who knows when I'll get my next one?

No comments:

Post a Comment