22 May 2013

Matters of Life and Death

Page 543/683. Part Five: Matters of Life and Death. Chapter 45: Stapleton Airport, Denver.

From Chapter 40: In the Basement -

       "A drink. A drink would fix him up, and there wasn't a thing in the goddamn house besides cooking sherry. At this point a drink would be medicinal. That was just it, by God. An anesthetic. He had done his duty and now he could use a little anesthetic...He had served the hotel. The hotel would want to reward him. He was sure of it...Just a little drink. Just one. To ease the pain...He had served the Overlook, and now the Overlook would serve him."

I was waiting for my car to complete its full wash and rinse cycle at Road Runner today when I read those words. This is another section that goes along with my theory of The Shining being as much (maybe more) about alcoholism as about an actual haunting. Couldn't everything be metaphorical for the roles that are played in an alcoholic household? Or maybe Jack is just more susceptible to the demons possessing the hotel because of his own demons that he has brought along for the ride.

I'm curious to find out what I have to discuss once I finish this sucker (tonight?).

No comments:

Post a Comment