11 August 2013

Pre-August Cool-Down

Cooler weather is supposedly on the horizon. That is, if one gives credit to the forecast given my the weather application on one's iPhone. Of course, we can't expect crisp evenings and brisk mornings ushering in frost on the grass and pumpkins on porches just yet, but it's only a matter of time. Every day of the coming week holds the promise of rain to usher in the cooler temps wherein highs will top the mid-eighties when Wednesday rolls around - this is a welcome sight in the forecast what with the hundred degree days that we've had consecutively for the past several weeks. The summer was far more mild than we're accustomed to experiencing, and though I know that true fall is still more than a month away, I'm hoping that this cool-down will mean that a truer winter is coming right behind it. I wouldn't mind seeing snow days and icy nights indoors this year. In fact, I'll probably enjoy them if (when) they occur.

The time is less than twenty minutes until 11:00, and I've waited until later than I planned to begin posting in my blog, an activity I've been prevented from completing since the Comcast connection went askew last week and the company (as usual) bent over backwards to not help us get it re-connected at 843 Gladstone.

My weekend has been a full one. The work week tidied up on a positive note, and I managed to get everything gathered and organized when I went into work for a couple hours on Saturday morning, which made me feel better about work than I have since starting there at the beginning of June. Because book club was moved to tonight at six, I was able to make plans with Ryan and Christina to eat Indian at Indigo before finally heading to Tinseltown to see The Conjuring (absolutely terrifying! wonderful! an homage to the genre presented in a way that I appreciate: the kind of horror movies with which I was raised), and I had to come home and read some Stephen King (still in Night Shift, I read "The Mangler" last night - the occult-ish tale of a demonic laundry press that somehow works well and maintains integrity in the dexterous hands of the master storyteller).

I still haven't finished Orange is the New Black, but I was more than halfway completed to discuss it at book club tonight (other than Angie, who picked the title, I had gotten the farthest [furthest? is it time or distance here?] into the story). I plan to finish it this week and to continue trying to down at least one of the stories in Night Shift every evening. Add to that the new issues of Out, The Advocate, and Esquire are all in, and I have tons of content to work through for the new publication with which I will be published very soon.

After book club, riding around with Angie and having a long discussion about life and where we both are in our individual spiritual worlds and with principles in general, I felt a sense of re-invigorated health that's been lacking severely for several weeks. I feel so good, in fact, that I set my alarm for a half hour earlier than usual to get up and take Mary for a walk and to fix myself some breakfast to chow on before work. Now, I just need to get to sleep so I can make these plans happen.

I feel another gratitude list coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment