24 June 2009

Remiss in Updates

....and I'd promised myself when I set out on this endeavor that I would post something every day. I guess I really need to get out the camera and get some new photo posts going.

Really, it's too hot for much of anything. Between work and class, I get home and I'm just exhausted. I barely feel like getting on Facebook.

Finally finished Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted two days ago, and the opening story, "Guts", is still kind of sitting with me. The novel is a frame story, like The Canterbury Tales, with several characters locked in an old movie theatre on a sort of writer's retreat, and the stories they tell each other to purge themselves of inner demons. It's the same premise that Mary Shelley claimed was the basis for her writing Frankenstein (a group of poets and writers rained in at an English estate all made a deal to write a horror story that beat anything they'd ever heard before...several of our culture's greatest themes in horror came from those rainy nights...vampires, the exploitation of advances in medicine, and God complexes). "Guts" is the opening story in Haunted, detailing three separate incidents that occur for three different guys when they're in a... private moment... these are very descriptive passages of the accidents that occur at the worst possible time. Very gross. The narrator opens the story asking you to "Hold your breath..." By the end of the story, you realize that you've been doing just that for several pages.

I've decided that the next big summer read will be Mark Z. Danielweski's House of Leaves. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and it proves to be every bit the odd, experimental novel with every turn of the page. What would you do if you moved into a house and discovered that there's one door that should lead outside, but when you open it, there's a hallway? That's the general premise. That and a documentary of the family who moved into the house. Kind of creepy, but I'm less than fifty pages into it.

I only wish I had a bit more leisure time, but I'm working to create some for myself between Chemistry, First Aid/CPR, work, and NA Area stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment