25 August 2011

68 Days Till Halloween

If I hadn't gone the countdown to Halloween/horror retrospective route for this new period of People Are Afraid To Merge in LA, I was planning on a generalized discussion of DVD favorites, both past and present. Every so often I go on kicks of watching previously popular and subsequently off-the-air television shows with a special emphasis on the prime time soaps of the late seventies and eighties, and recent weeks have been no exception as I've been requesting entire collections of several of my favorites to have on as background noise while I worked to re-copy notes for my new position as Office Manager at Family Dentistry and took steps to organize and prepare myself for the newly arrived fall semester. I made it through the first two seasons of Knots Landing, a tv show that I found during its original syndication the summer following my freshman year in high school, fell in love with sometime during its re-airing of the third season, and then proceeded to watch in its entirety, setting my VCR to record the daily episodes that continued for the duration of my sophomore year at Caddo Parish Magnet High School.

I'd never known the joy of the nighttime soaps when they originally aired, but my love for the medium helped cement my friendship with Bijal Patel and the two of us fell in love with the nineties counterparts that seemed to center around the denizens of 1601 Melrose Place and pretty much everything that starred Heather Locklear and/or Tori Spelling. Unfortunately, it seems that the releasing of other seasons of Knots Landing beyond Sid Fairgate's fateful drive through the cliffside canyons of the Los Angeles suburb and his sister, Abby's, sudden discover that her ex-husband has kidnapped her two children are uncertain. Although I enjoy having the lives and loves of the Carrington clan on as background noise, it's just not as great as listening to the somewhat more realistic goings-on with those crazy LA-ers such as the pill-popping do-gooder Karen, the ever-victimized Valene, constantly relapsing Gary, and the Shakespearean-inspired Greg Sumner. I'm hoping to start re-amassing a worthy collection at some point, but I find that when I watch such programming, said programming and its format seems to run my taste in everything else; therefore, I'm only too pleased to let the Dynasty, Dallas, Falcon Crest, and Knots Landing boxed sets gather a little dust while I settle in for a long, comfortable ride with my one great joy, the world of horror fandom.

Tonight, I've decided to begin with a favorite that only fell into my sights and interests in late 2004 when Bravo originally aired its 100 Scariest Movie Moments and I saw a documentary on the master of Italian horror, Mario Bava. Prior to 2004, I'd never heard of the man nor any of his films, but I have yet to feel let down by any of his offerings.

I'm popping Blood and Black Lace into my laptop's DVD-R drive now and I'm hoping that its swanky opening theme moves me to keep going on the attainment of the goals I've set for achievement tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment