12 September 2013

"The Man Who Loved Flowers"

The next story on my reading agenda is "The Man Who Loved Flowers." I have no recollection of this entry whatsoever, but I did have memories of the one I finished last night, "The Last Rung on the Ladder." Not a horror story at all, it's a tale that does further the idea that Stephen King is a master at putting his reader in the very thick of the action - he is able to elicit strong, emotional feelings of empathy with his characters. "The Last Rung on the Ladder" is, at its heart, a story about family and the profound sense of loss that one can feel when looking back on the many relationships that one has forgotten to cultivate as life passes. Love may transcend all, but its not always there to pick up and reciprocate at will. People grow up and move all around the world, and we sometimes forget about the most meaningful people that helped us to become adults. Last night's subject was one of tremendous sadness, particularly poignant at this time of transition in my life. Love, family, relationships, and loss are all at the forefront of my thinking lately. I'm hoping tonight's reading will help me move into a totally different mindset. I have too much to do in my day-to-day to dwell on morbid nostalgia for any longer than necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment