30 September 2013

Choked While Reading Choke and Trying to Make Everything Happen at Once

Clearly, I'm behind on blogging, which is exactly what I swore wouldn't happen when I started this Stephen King in 2013 endeavor at the beginning of the year. Of course, I figured that there would be days and nights when I wouldn't be able to get online and create a post, but I didn't really think that I'd fall so far behind that Brodie Vines would text to remind me that I had the blog before I had anything else and some people are still looking for the content to reappear. It's been vacant of anything original since the 19th of September, and that is - in fact - entirely too long. I finished Night Shift last month, and I immediately started reading Choke to have it completed in time for book club (which we had on Sunday evening - Jamie was the only member who finished it), and I've yet to reach the novel's conclusion. I guess I need to get busy with that, too. The only problem is that I finally made it home to take off my shoes and tie and belt since I originally put everything on before leaving the house just after eight this morning and walking down to work for the day. As I've written to complain about so many times in the past: there simply aren't enough hours in the day.

Between formulating a proper resignation from one commitment and fulfilling my obligations with another, writing a letter of intent and filling in all the necessary paperwork to apply for another grant, keeping my checkbook balanced and trying to find the time to fit in regular workouts, working full time and making meetings, returning phone calls and responding to emails, taking care of my dog and helping out my mom, trying to be a good guy and also not letting myself down - I'm not quite sure where time for myself fits into the grand scheme of things. Like always, I'm working toward some idea of balance. If anyone else out there knows anything about that, please feel free to let me know. I'm all ears.

I really need to iron before bed, but I'm at the point of either saving it for tomorrow or just donning the slightly wrinkled garments and dealing with the sneers of the fashion police who run the office. I'd like to get in bed and read a few chapters before I pass out, and it's pretty much imperative that I get my tired ass up for the first alarm so that I can complete everything in the morning that I'm more than likely not getting done tonight. I'm too busy to be depressed and too stressed to dwell on everything I'm missing. I just wish that some of the laziness that I see all around me would extend a polite hand in a gesture of good will. It'd be the right thing to do, but laziness rarely gives two shits about anything but itself.

The Stand is what comes next, and if I hope to finish it before the year is out, I've got to start on it. If I'm going to start on it, I should probably conclude this post, go floss, brush my teeth, get into bed, make my to-do list, read, pray, meditate, leisure read, and then shut my eyes on today. Tomorrow is another one.

Thanks, Brodie. I needed a reminder to be true to myself and to remember how I got from point A to point B. Now if I can only see the trees of D for the forest of C, I think I'll be one step closer to status quo.

No comments:

Post a Comment