04 July 2013

Keeping the Fires Burning

Mary Louise HATES today (I think she hates tonight even more). She can't handle feeling as if she's living in Baghdad for the twenty-four to thirty-six hours in which fire works are at their fullest peak. I couldn't even to get her off the porch to go outside to pee when I got home from the very full day that I've enjoyed this 4th of July, 2013. An eventful day, it's been, and I'm not totally sure who I feel tonight. I don't feel bad, but I cannot honestly write that I feel great. I spent the morning after leaving Brodie getting ready at my place having breakfast with my family then swimming with two of my nephews. The afternoon was filled with more food and more swimming (not nearly as much reading as I would have liked, but enough to know that I'll be continuing as soon as I finish composing this post).

I left Mom's with the sole intention of picking Grant up for the Lambda meeting, not knowing EXACTLY what the rest of my night would entail. After Lambda, I drove Grant to the Highland Club and decided to stick around to hear my buddy James tell his story (a sobriety birthday on the same date of his ten year wedding anniversary... amazing). I had invitations to go with the sponsor family to watch the fireworks on the riverfront, to head over to Charlotte's with Sarah and Mike to set off fireworks there, and to return to my mom's to see more of my family. Brodie was with his friends, and he's been asking me to meet them, and I've been wanting to meet them, so I went there to meet them.

I was only there a few minutes, but long enough to know that I like them and I see why he likes them and why he calls them friends. Realizing that I'm exhausted, bloodshot from swimming with my eyes open in two chlorinated pools today (is there any other way), and ready to hit the hay to sleep before going in for what I'm hoping will be a short day at work tomorrow, I headed home to find Mary cowering behind the pillows on my bed and waiting to lay with me tonight.

In Night Shift, I'm still only in the first story, "Jerusalem's Lot," but I'm thinking that I'll hit my stride this weekend (along with the writing I'm planning, the interview I have to conduct tomorrow night, the meetings I plan to attend, the minutes I plan to type, and the thank you cards I plan to complete). I still have such a great difficulty in just staying in the moment, enjoying time as it happens instead of hurrying through actions to reach the next task. Funny thing, if not for the need to sleep, I always think I'd get so much more done, but missing sleep is not an option.

Speaking of which, if I don't stop writing pretty soon, I'll not get any more reading in before it comes.

I wish Brodie were here to keep me warm tonight, but I'm glad he's with his buddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment