20 October 2009

Reminders

"..the moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me toward salvation. I stopped an old man along the way, hoping to find some old forgotten words or ancient melodies. He turned to me as if to say: Hurry, boy, it's waiting there for you!" -- Toto

It's always a good thing when you receive an email or a card from someone you haven't heard from in a while, especially when that someone is corresponding from the other side of the planet. It helps re-orient me, helps me relocate that directional force that I'd forgotten about for some time.

An email came from Ross today. Always a pleasure. Always reminds me that there are men and women in this world who are overcoming odds that I will probably never face. Always reminds me to keep my chin up, work harder, push a little more, and that just because I will never be completely satisfied and self-actualized doesn't mean that I can't meet happiness at every turn. Sometimes, it takes something brilliant from a PCV teaching Economics in a third-world country to remind me of how precious every moment of this life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment