21 October 2009

The Circulatory System and Nervous Tissue

"Everybody's got a heart. Except some people." --Margot Channing, All About Eve

I'm wondering why every time I'm gifted with an opportunity of a few hours to go home, to relax, to get a nap in, to try to score some sleep, I get to my room and realize that the last thing I can possibly do is achieve a state of Nirvana or resign myself to rest and relaxation. Instead, I look around and I see piles of books that I should really be studying, spiral notebooks filled with notes I should be recopying, my planners hanging open on my bed announcing to me every event and appointment and to-do item that has yet to be crossed off the list.

For the past two months, my life has been one organ system after another, the history of human life on planet Earth and the billions of microorganic monsters that are out there just waiting to invade, theoretical probabilities of a standard 52-card deck or a pair of standard, nonbiased dice, the ins and outs of BMI's and waist circumferences...and that's been the fun part. If not that, then it's been one phone call after another from someone else who is pissed at another person or someone who has their heart broken and hopes to have me mend it or someone who needs a ride or to borrow money or some advice... someone who can't hear from the inflections in my voice that I really have to go because this is just one of ten phone calls that I have to return for everyone who left a message while I was in the shower.

I'm just tired. And griping. And being selfish. And feeling sorry for people and events that I probably would be unable to function without.

Still... sometimes it feels good just to get it all out.

Back to the heart's nerve supply and the cardiac cycle and T-waves and P-waves and the QRS and depolarization and repolarization and systoles and diastoles and myocardial infarctions. I'm constipated with all this understanding of a systemic approach to the human body.

... is it just me or do the Atlas models have very nice bodies? I guess it's been so long since I've seen naked people that I forgot what they look like.

There may be a date in my future. A midnight showing of the original Night of the Living Dead. It's that time of year, and I can't think of a better way to spend two hours than sinking down into a seat at the Robinson in the middle of the night to see the horror classic. I hope the company that will be in attendance with me will be as into the freakfest as I am.

Nothing better than a good, old fashioned attack of flesh-eating zombies.

No comments:

Post a Comment