08 August 2017

And another thing

This blog is my happy place because I can write whatever I want and I don't have to worry about re-reading and proofing and slimming down and making sure it's fit for public consumption. 

For my writing, it's the one place that's completely mine and nobody can say a word about it. So the next time I'm thinking about deleting someone from my Facebook feed because they post yet another piece of crap that reminds me they're an idiot and has me wondering what the connection was that ever made us social media friends in the first place... I can just come here.

Which reminds me of something I read last night in All the President's Men - a book I'm sure I'll continue to pick up and put down at my leisure for a while.

The invariable question, asked only half-mockingly of reporters by editors at the Post (and then up the hierarchal line of editors) was "What have you done for me today?" Yesterday was for the history books, not newspapers.

It speaks to me because this is my daily life as a reporter. When I really just want to be a writer and try to succeed at being a journalist and I feel frustrated and lost and wish I could write more creatively and with a little more time and freedom, I just remind myself I'm on a path toward something.

Whether it's what I wanted when I begin, I guess I won't know until I get there. 

And then I probably won't be sure it was what I wanted in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment