20 October 2010

Being Right Isn't Always A Good Thing

Why do celebrity deaths always happen in threes? I don't know that one could actually consider the idea a rule or a theory or a low, but it's one of those things that you just notice. Ask anyone in the medical field, someone working in a hospital or in a facility for long-term care, and you're likely to discover that this isn't something that just plagues the famous, it's something that happens. I'd have to say that it has something to do with the karmic rules of the universe: the rule of threes. Three horsemen. Three magi. The holy trinity. Full moon insanity: three days going in and three days coming out. What you put out there comes back to you times three. A single incident could just be its single self, but when there's a second, you can bet there will be a third. Funny how things work out in life whether you've planned and anticipated for them or not.

There are one hundred thousand million other things that I should be doing. I even posted my Facebook status today as a demand for a twenty-fifth hour. I have an article to analyze and submit tomorrow morning, more than fifty Power Point slides that I still need to review for an exam on Friday, a letter to revise and email, an article to work on for a national publication, and a brochure that needs to be ready in two days, but I can't quite seem to get it the way I want it. I'm usually so much more focused than I have been for the past several days, but I've just been so easily distracted, unable to fully concentrate on all this stuff that I'm usually adept at pouring my brain into and exerting the best parts of my higher leveled thinking.

Maybe the distraction has something to do with my grandmother. She was rushed to the Emergency Room two days ago and I've been slowly digesting the details of her condition piece by piece, as it's all been issued from her doctors and her nurses. It's such a coincidence that all the symptoms I am learning of are those which I'm currently covering in Pathophysiology. With words like effusion and ascites and fluid and atelectasis, the nursing student brain went into overdrive, and I immediately start thinking about left-sided heart failure and what it means and how it relates to her prognosis. When Mom asked what I thought, I did my best to explain cardiopulmonary function and what it could potentially be in Mimi's case. What's funny is that, most of the time, I really love being right. I argue, fight, research, investigate, find the proof I need to prove my point or win the debate. I was right this time, but this isn't one of those cases where being right really fits or feels good. It's a Pyrrhic victory at best. No, it's a Pyrrhic victory at worst.

Maybe I'll feel more inspiration later. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment