05 June 2010

Maintenance

Yes, I have been quite remiss in any updates...even managed to pass my one year anniversary of keeping this blog. Wonderful dad I am sometimes, but that's what happens when academics and work-studies and work-related efforts begin to generally overtake your life and request and require more of your time than you expect and/or plan to give initially. Odd deal, the hurrier you go, the behinder you get... but I've written about that before, haven't I?

Imprint, one of the student nursing magazines to which I subscribe, is requesting submissions from student nurses that offer innovative and creative study tips for their upcoming fall semester issue. I've been working on it and decided to compile a few of the bits here to see how things look when transcribed from the hand-written to the typed-up face of my laptop screen:

"In addition to my overzealous matriculation as a full time student working toward a Baccalaureate degree in Nursing, I've added a secondary major in Addiction Studies; and because several of the clinical semesters I have ahead are only composed of about nine hours (and twelve is the magic number to maintain financial aid stability), and if it's necessary that I take additional courses to achieve full-time status, I should definitely ensure those courses count towards something. Between semesters composed of anywhere from fifteen to twenty hours, adhering to a schedule of thirty-plus hours with work, holding positions with both SGA and SNA, and balancing academic related commitments with exercise, hobbies, a personal life, and some time for rest, finding the most tactical approaches to studying is absolutely essential.

First of all, I make it a point to never miss a lecture. Although textbooks are replete with a plethora of unbeatable information, there are often details and instructor-stressed aspects that would otherwise be easily, passively skimmed or completely overlooked. Additionally, I try to arrive for lectures prepared, having read through chapters and any other appropriate information prior to class time. If I haven't gotten all the way through the reading, I at least read the chapter headlines, section breaks, summaries, key words, and review questions. If this information is important enough to the men and women creating the textbook and the instructor has selected the book as his or her manual, then this highlighted information is likely essential to my understanding of the material. Between lectures, I never allow more than two days to pass before I peel out my notes and neatly recopy them from the crude pencil notes into a very legible binder loaded with looseleaf paper. In a way, it's like receiving the lecture twice, and I can consult my textbook or the internet to better explain any concepts I may be finding difficult to grasp. That being said, keep in mind that the internet can be an absolute wonderland of videos and animations and even thousand-dollar lectures on the same topic that have been recorded to broadcast from prestigious universities.

Once the notes are re-written, I can easily go through to highlight points on which to focus, a practice from which note cards and quick study guides can be generated. One must note that nursing is a field that incorporates the arts and science. Many answers may be black and white, but it is imperative to begin thinking critically and to begin trying to think through to the best possible conclusion.

Finally, the best advice I can give is that everyone must begin to network: make friends and formulate a small study group. Compose your circle of students working toward the same degree, preferably those who are also at the same level. Surround yourself with others who are just as passionate and pushing towards the same ends as you. Compile your group of others you admire and respect and remember that the more diverse and varied your circle, the more information you're likely to receive and retain."

Not bad. A bit long. Definitely needs some revision and editing... and the ending needs work. Ah... lemme move on to something else now.

No comments:

Post a Comment