29 January 2013

Plug it Up - Plug it Up - Plug it Up!

I'd planned to come in from my home group meeting at Centenary and write an extended post. The meeting really inspired me, and I thought about where I am in this first book throughout. Carrie's had the feminine hygiene products tossed at her and been sent home. Sue's just banged Tommy and thinking about what she's done, being a part of what today we'd call "bullying," "groupthink," "gang violence..." It reminds me, red-faced and still feelings those tucked-down pangs of shame and embarrassment, of the days of my youth. People hadn't really changed much by the time I'd reached the middle school in the early nineties. The shower scene isn't really all that far-fetched. I've been through my own particular brand of worse.

I came home to prep a late dinner. Some chicken nuggets and Ranch dressing. And the process was interrupted by news from a friend. Bad news about another friend. I have to process it all before I write about it, or before I write about Carrie.

I'll sum today up as a good day, until tonight. I woke up. I smoked. I prayed. I read "Upon awakening" and my morning meditation from 24-Hours a Day. I prepared for my day, and I thought about writing throughout. I thought about Stephen King and Carrie. I enjoyed my work, and I played pranks on my staff. I tried to bring a sense of camaraderie and health to everyone I encountered. In the meeting, I was called on so I shared, and I thought about my time in sobriety. I thought more about writing. I miss writing. I have so many stories to tell.

Life is full of change. Some is good. Some is more difficult to accept. At least my books will always be there. And I can always count on one thing in 2013: these books (and my dog) will be waiting my arrival every afternoon and evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment