30 January 2013

dirtypillows

Something that I remember standing out in my mind the first time I read Carrie (after having seen the movie, now having seen the movie several times) in my youth is the absence of the scene in which a shower of stones pelts the home of Margaret White and a toddler-aged Carrie. The book opens with a clipping from a news story describing the event which later plays a significant part in describing the history of the horror that comes developed in the house.

Incidentally, the catalyst for the stones is also the first mention of the likeness of breasts to "dirtypillows" when Carrie falls upon a sunbathing neighbor whose bathing top has fallen to expose her chest.

I wonder if the remake will have scenes like this which were either overlooked in the original or dumped on the cutting room floor.

In bed early tonight to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment