17 December 2009

On Writing, On Cleaning, On Resting, On Cooking...

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains. Never was this truth more plain than during the recent attacks at Netherfield Park, in which a household of eighteen was slaughtered and consumed by a horde of the living dead." -- Jane Austen & Seth Grahame-Smith,
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I don't suppose I could think of a better way of having officially begun an extended vacation from lectures and power points and recopying notes and exams and minimal minutes of personal time than with a great classic suddenly riddled with attacks of flesh-eating zombies. Except maybe some of the other books that I've selected for reading over the scholastic break.

It's funny. I completed my last final in Human Anatomy and had a new position at Vitamins Plus within hours. Suddenly, I'm able to begin putting my newfound nutritional knowledge into practical application, and the time was only minutes after departing campus and enrolling in the long, much anticipated semester conclusion. It's another new and exciting chapter in my life, I suppose. One that will work very well with the approaching spring semester and the other job I'm currently holding as a student worker when classes are in session. I'd barely had time to think or contemplate the ideas of where and when and how I might possibly find a suitable position before I saw the posting for a position and had an application turned in. I suppose that I was ready and the time was right... the stars were appropriately alligned.

I begin indoctrinating myself to the world of organic foods and supplements and better health on Saturday morning, and I'm excited to be able to glean all this new knowledge and experience. Almost as excited as I am at spending this time working on my step (the last one I completed and reviewed with Mariann was in August). Almost as excited as I am at the anticipation of having my movie-viewing buddy, Jeremy, over on Saturday nights to watch more buckets of Bava and an array of Argento...hopefully a symposium in which we can begin to discover new directors and production styles and gather more ideas for working on a screenplay together. Almost as excited as I am at the reading list that includes Wilkie Collins, Thomas Tryon, Tom Robbins, Joyce Carol Oates, Tom Wolfe, and John D. MacDonald. Almost as excited as I am at my family arriving so that we can spend an evening consuming my cousin's haute Louisiana-style cuisine and wrapping presents and setting up a tree and decorating and sending out Christmas cards and sending out notes and letters to all my friends and family to let them know how the semester has run its course.

Without further adieu, I suppose I should get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment